Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Cauliflower Crusted Pizza




















This week, I decided to take on a recipe that I have been very curious about: Cauliflower Crusted Pizza.  After deciding on my recipe, I was flipping through "Wegmans Menu Magazine" and found an article in which they named cauliflower "This Season's Veggie Superstar." I can't argue with that one, Wegmans does know best :).  As far as health benefits go, cauliflower has vitamins and minerals that cannot be matched by traditional pizza dough.  A serving of cauliflower provides 100% daily value of vitamin C and 200% of vitamin K.  It also carries antioxidants believed to protect against diseases. After learning this, I became even more excited to tackle this week's healthy recipe!

The final product :)

Cauliflower Crust Ingredients
1/2 cups cauliflower, grated
1 large egg
1 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese

To create the crust, I started by breaking up the cauliflower using a grater.  Following that, I warmed up the cauliflower in the microwave for about 7 minutes and then let it cool. Once cool, I mixed the cauliflower with one egg, mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese. The final step before cooking was to spread the mixture in a thin crust on a pan.  Note that it is important to fully pre-cook the crust at 425 degrees until golden brown before adding the toppings of your choice to ensure that the crust is not soggy. Once the pizza is full of delicious toppings, cook for another 10 minutes.  Check out the full directions here!

Personally, I love vegetables, so this recipe didn't scare me one bit. The pizza ended up tasting delicious too!  My sister, however, is a little more picky. Although she was hesitant to try it, she really enjoyed it.  I think this will reassure you picky eaters that taking risks in the kitchen is definitely worth it.  Plus, is there anything that can beat a healthy pizza?




1 comment:

  1. I love cauliflower. I want to make this soon. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete