Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Pumpkin Pie Custard

It's officially October! With this in mind, I almost felt obligated to make something pumpkin related this week, so I did just that.  Desserts are never really known for being "healthy", but it is possible to modify sweet treats, in simple ways, without losing the delicious flavor.  I took on a recipe for a healthier version of pumpkin pie by eliminating the crust that defines a typical pumpkin pie, and replacing sugar with a natural sweetener, stevia.  This delicious pumpkin pie custard only required a few ingredients and was ready to eat in under an hour.


Ingredients
1 can (15 oz) pure pumpkin
1/2 cup milk
4 beaten eggs
1/2 teaspoon slat
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons pumpkin spice
1 teaspoon vanilla liquid stevia (dry stevia can be used as well)

Instructions:
1. In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin, milk, eggs, spices and stevia.
2. After spraying the dishes or cupcake tray with nonstick cooking spray, evenly spread the mixture into the dishes.
3. Bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees.
Full directions are available on the "Sugar Free Mom" website, where I found the original recipe.

Because there were only a few ingredients, and no sugar was added, I was concerned that this recipe wouldn't compare to a pumpkin pie at all.  I was wrong! As the custard was cooking in the oven, the house filled with the overwhelming smell of pumpkin and the taste topped that! I added ice cream on top for a little extra sweetness, but the custard stands alone well too!  My dad enjoyed the dessert so much that he ate my sister's serving.  Looks like I'll have to make it again!

I highly recommend this recipe to all of you, as it really hits the spot during the fall season!

No comments:

Post a Comment