Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Calzone Craving

I must admit, this week, I slacked a little bit in researching a new, healthy recipe. By no means did I cook something as unique as "cauliflower crusted pizza", or "zucchini" pasta noodles, but boy, what I cooked sure was delicious.  Truth of the matter is, I was craving a calzone, so I made one.  Nothing screams comfort food like a folded up pizza.  But don't worry, I didn't forget the health aspect!  I made many modifications to allow for this savory treat to qualify as healthy.

There is no strict recipe you have to follow when making a calzone, so this week I kind of improvised! The must have ingredients for a calzone includedough, sauce, and cheese.   That sounds boring though, doesn't it? I added a lot more to really bring this calzone some flavor.


Ingredients that I used:  Dough, Mozzarella Cheese, Sauce, Turkey Pepperoni, Onions, Peppers, and Broccoli .


Modifications:


1. Whole wheat dough vs. White

I used whole wheat dough in my recipe this week.  Dough made from whole wheat flour offers a higher level a vitamins when compared to white flour, as well as a high fiber content.  You can read up about the advantages of whole wheat flour on the "SFGATE" website.

2. Vegetables vs. Meat

Calzones are typically known for being full of pepperoni and sausage, and that's about it.  Sure, that's what some people love about them, but I found that packing my calzone full of vegetables was just as satisfying.  This would be a great way to sneak in some vegetables for kids that refuse to eat them when they stand alone :)

3. Turkey pepperoni vs. Classic Pepperoni (Pork)

Although, as mentioned above, I focused on including vegetables instead of meat, I did add some pepperoni to this calzone.  I, however, used turkey pepperoni. Turkey pepperoni has fewer calories and less fat than pork-based sausage, which is obviously desirable in regards to health benefits.


Try out some of these modifications in your next pizza or calzone! I promise you won't lose the traditional flavor you know and love!



No comments:

Post a Comment