Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Cornbread


I haven't talked about football in a while...but this week I must say, GO BILLS!  Watching the Bills win this weekend was definitely the highlight, however, the delicious meal that accompanied the game came in a close second.  Nothings says "comfort food" to me like a nice bowl of chili and a side of cornbread, so on this cool weekend, I had to make this meal.  At my house, we make a generally healthy chili recipe, but when it comes to the bread on the side, not so much. Cornbread is known for being full of oils and butter, which makes it delicious of course, but I tried a recipe that avoided these all together.  And yes, it still was super tasty! You might not believe me on this one, but I promise, you will not have to sacrifice flavor at all.   The aroma that filled the house as the bread was cooking was wonderful, but it didn't even compare to the taste.  

Cornbread Ingredients    
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
2 eggs, beaten
  
Directions: 
1. In a large bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking soda and salt.  Stir in yogurt and eggs.
2. Pour batter into lightly greased 8 x 8 baking pan.
3. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.

Full details for this recipe are available on the "AllRecipes" website!

As I mentioned before, this recipe turned out even better than I expected! No one in my family could even tell the difference or recognize that butter and oil were not used.  The yogurt really served as a great replacement.  Note: I did add a teaspoon of honey to this, just as a natural sweetener. That is one tip that I would give to you all, if you want to take this recipe the next level!

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment